Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sirens Wail!


[Baut Images: Scratch the Sky] 

Sirens wail!
Lights are flashing!
No one heeds the call!


No one really cares.
Hypnotized from childhood.
Don't do that!
Do this!


Suck on a binky.
It's so soothing.
There's plastic in your blood.
Toxins in your soup.


Drink swill from the tap.
It's better for you.
It's full of fluoride.
Full of chemicals.


Fast food.
French fries.
Cola.
Wendy loves you.


Have some herbal tea. 
Whilst 1.3 million street children weep.
Fed Res sends 700-800 billion to the EU.
And you buy a new home for 1.3 million.


Learn to write.
Write some more.
Even though it's crap.
There's applause at the door.


Liars!
Hypocrites!
Ego driven!
Self-deluded!


Within your nest of thorns.
Don't come too close.
Don't dream in colour.
Don't explore creativity.


Just sit there.
Do the same old thing.
Day after day after day.
Do nothing for anyone else.


Limit yourself.
Limit your creativity.
Get rid of your paints.
Hide in your fracking tackle box.


No one heeds the call.
Lights are flashing.
Sirens wail.

Roger Allen Baut





We laughed as the sun went down,
Sang songs of a dying Earth,
And danced until the moon rose
For the very last time. RAB

6 comments:

  1. This is potent work Roger, the video is rending, strongly accented by the Butoh dancers at the end. Your opening photograph set the tone so well, your words like wake up bells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very nice of you you stop by Anna and leave your comment/thoughts! I was curious as to how it might be perceived, since I did a bit of experimenting with style and lines. Not one of my 'traditional' triples, to be sure!

      Really happy you found the composition, to have "...words like wake up bells."

      Roger ☺

      Delete
  2. This is really strong, Roger, in a very good way.

    Suck on a binky.
    It's so soothing.
    There's plastic in your blood.
    Toxins in your soup.

    Awesome! All of it, really, it's so authentically outraged, from the heart. i also love this wordplay:

    Limit yourself.
    Limit your creativity.
    Get rid of your paints.
    Hide in your fracking tackle box.

    Good job, Poet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I really wasn't sure what was coming when I started this out, but it emerged as it would. You also picked my favorite parts too! When I see little kids with those 'binky' I just shake my head! What are people soing to their children, and it's 'not' that all the info on plastics isn't out there!

      Anywho! Thanks again Steve, and sldo for the complement 'poet,' but I'm not quite there yet.

      Roger ☺

      Delete
  3. Roger, this piece is great. A mix of style here, love the sarcastic wit in a few of these. I love how you have this layout styled with the characters in between, very reminiscent. Great write, love DCD btw, that brings me back to college for sure, I had a buddy that was really into them and I had no idea who they were, so he bought me a ticket so he'd have someone to go with, and I liked the show so much I paid him back lol Very cool piece. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fred! Thanks so much for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed my little variation on a 'triplet.'

      Oh, my God, yes, DCD. I hear they're getting back together again, which is awesome. 'DCD' and 'lamb' are my all time favorites!

      Thanks again Fred!

      Roger ☺

      Delete